Episode 21 of Public Key, the Chainalysis podcast, is here! In this episode, we talk with Aidan Larkin, Co-founder and CEO of Asset Reality. Aidan tells us about complex investigations and asset realization in cryptocurrency.
We’re also proud to announce that Asset Reality is a Chainalysis Partner.
Public Key Episode 21 preview: Seizing Crypto Assets, Challenges in confiscating luxury goods and making crypto wallet experience safe and trusted
In this week’s episode, Aidan Larkin (Founder and CEO of Asset Reality) joins our host, Ian Andrews (CMO) to discuss asset seizures in crypto versus fiat, challenges in confiscating physical and luxury goods, and how demystifying the realization of crypto and other complex assets can aid in increasing cryptocurrency adoption.
Quote of the episode
“Let’s not kid ourselves in the sense of the scale of the issue. Crypto is not the issue. The current estimate is that $2 Trillion is laundered in fiat every single year. The art section and luxury goods market have been named on every money laundering assessment around the world and has been for the last decade. And sanctions evasions were alive and well in the art industry long before crypto came along.” – Aidan Larkin (Founder and CEO of Asset Reality)
Minute-by-minute episode breakdown
- (2:25) – From seizing lambos and luxury watches into confiscating crypto assets
- (5:15) – How traditional assets obtained by illicit means are seized and sold at auction
- (11:15) – The challenge with suspects ability to gain access to cryptocurrency that has been seized as evidence in an investigation
- (14:48) – The shocking stats around crypto asset recovery efforts around the world
- (18:30) – Traditional asset recovery may be broken and crypto asset seizure blueprints may be the solution
- (21:03) – Creating the playbook for crypto asset investigation, recovery and realization
- (24:55) – Why simpler recovery efforts lead to trust and safety for wider crypto adoption
- (27:42) – The challenges of allowing users to protect their data, while trying to add useful product features
- (29:30) – The MetaMask partnership to bring safety to the user’s wallet experience and journey
- (31:35) – How off-shore jurisdictions are leveraging Asset Reality to participate in crypto economic opportunities
Check out more resources provided by Chainalysis that perfectly complement this episode of the Public Key.
- Blog: Cryptoasset Realization: How Cryptocurrencies Are Frozen, Seized, and Forfeited
- Blog: Mid-year Crypto Crime Update: Illicit Activity Falls With Rest of Market, With Some Notable Exceptions
- Website: Asset Reality: The Asset Recovery Company
- Article: Asset Reality Partners with MetaMask to Help Victims of Scams Recover Their Stolen Digital Assets
- On-Demand Webinar: Crypto Asset Recovery: Recovering, Managing & Realising Crypto Assets
- Website: Chainalysis Academy
Speakers on today’s episode
- Ian Andrews * Host * (Chief Marketing Officer, Chainalysis) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ianhandrews
- Aidan Larkin (Founder and CEO of Asset Reality) https://www.linkedin.com/in/aidan-larkin-29810781
** It is noted that Asset Reality is a Chainalysis Partner **
This website may contain links to third-party sites that are not under the control of Chainalysis, Inc. or its affiliates (collectively “Chainalysis”). Access to such information does not imply association with, endorsement of, approval of, or recommendation by Chainalysis of the site or its operators, and Chainalysis is not responsible for the products, services, or other content hosted therein.
Our podcasts are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to provide legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. Listeners should consult their own advisors before making these types of decisions. Chainalysis has no responsibility or liability for any decision made or any other acts or omissions in connection with your use of this material.
Chainalysis does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability or validity of the information in any particular podcast and will not be responsible for any claim attributable to errors, omissions, or other inaccuracies of any part of such material.
Unless stated otherwise, reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by Chainalysis. The views expressed by guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by Chainalysis employees are those of the employees and do not necessarily reflect the views of the company.